Victoria’s $100 billion-plus Big Build program will face a Royal Commission after Ben Carroll was sworn in as the state’s new Premier on Tuesday, hours after Jacinta Allen resigned from the role.

Carroll named the Royal Commission into the construction sector as his first act in the job, according to Sourceable. He committed to establishing a special prosecutor immediately, running in parallel with the Commission rather than waiting for it to conclude. Victoria’s Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) will also get expanded ‘follow the money’ powers during the current parliamentary term, brought forward from the previously scheduled 2027 date.

The move follows months of pressure over alleged fraud and corruption on Big Build projects. A redacted section of a report tendered at a Queensland inquiry into the CFMEU, authored by Geoffrey Watson SC, suggested corruption linked to the union may have cost Victorian taxpayers up to $15 billion. Watson’s report described the union as having shifted from a body focused on workers’ rights to one that had ‘cultivated the company of underworld figures’ and bikie gangs. Those are allegations, not findings, and haven’t been tested before the Royal Commission or any other tribunal.

The Big Build program, launched in 2018-19, brings more than 180 road and rail projects under one umbrella. It covers the Metro Tunnel, West Gate Tunnel, North East Link, Melbourne Airport Rail, the Suburban Rail Loop, removal of 110 level crossings and upgrades to every regional passenger line. A separate Big Housing Build sits alongside it, aiming to deliver 16,000 social and affordable homes and 70,000 homes near new rail stations.

Industry groups reacted carefully. Master Builders Victoria said it would wait for the Commission’s terms before passing judgment. “The overwhelming majority of builders, subcontractors, tradespeople and workers do the right thing every day,” said Dr Corrie Williams, MBV’s Chief of Public Affairs. “They deserve an industry environment where businesses can compete fairly, where taxpayer funds are protected, and where safety and productivity remain the primary focus.”

Peter Colacino, CEO of the Australian Constructors Association, backed the process but flagged risks. “We need to make sure the systemic issues are uncovered and that a Royal Commission doesn’t become a pressure on finite resources in the industry without systemic change,” he said.

For subcontractors and tradies on Big Build sites, the immediate picture is uncertainty. A Commission of this scale takes time, and its terms and choice of commissioner will shape how far it reaches into day-to-day site practices. The terms of reference, expected soon, will signal whether the inquiry’s focus stays on procurement and union conduct or extends into contracting and subcontractor arrangements.

Frequently asked questions

What is Victoria’s Big Build program?

The Big Build, launched in 2018-19, brings more than 180 road and rail projects under one umbrella. It covers the Metro Tunnel, West Gate Tunnel, North East Link, Melbourne Airport Rail, the Suburban Rail Loop, removal of 110 level crossings and upgrades to every regional passenger line.

What will the Royal Commission investigate?

The terms of reference haven’t been released yet. When they are, they’ll signal whether the inquiry focuses on procurement and union conduct or extends into contracting and subcontractor arrangements on Big Build sites.

What are the CFMEU allegations about?

A report by Geoffrey Watson SC, tendered at a Queensland inquiry into the CFMEU, alleged corruption linked to the union may have cost Victorian taxpayers up to $15 billion. These are allegations, not findings, and haven’t been tested before any tribunal.


Sourced from Sourceable. Original article.